Background and objectives
The Knut Wicksell Centre for Financial Studies (KWC) was established in 2011, following a government initiative to strengthen financial research in Sweden. Funding for the initiative was provided for a ten-year period via VINNOVA’s Financial Market Program.
Since 2021 KWC is mainly financed by Sparbanksstiftelsen Finn.
The Mission of the network is fivefold:
- To conduct research at the highest academic level, aiming at developing our understanding of how the financial markets work.
- To understand the problems facing society in general and more specifically, our stakeholders from the private and public sectors.
- To carefully formulate policy recommendations and advice based on research.
- To disseminate our results through outreach operations to stakeholders and the general public.
- To support high-quality education at the undergraduate, master’s and PhD level.